Our team of certified Tobacco Treatment Specialists work directly with healthcare providers, local health departments and statewide health partners and health insurers and employers to help Arizonans’ quit their use of tobacco products and reduce tobacco-related health disparities.
The Training Institute offers free in-person and online evidence-based tobacco cessation trainings and learning courses and materials to educate healthcare professionals on the harms of tobacco use, the benefits of quitting and how to refer tobacco users to the Arizona Smokers’ Helpline (ASHLine).
Trainings and Learning Resources Offered by our Team
- Ask, Advise, Refer (AAR) Training for healthcare providers to learn how to efficiently screen patients for tobacco use, advise them to quit and refer to ASHLine services via a HIPAA-compliant fax or electronic referral form. The AAR training is customized for specialty health providers such as behavioral health clinicians and maternal and child health professionals, and our team provides referring organizations outcome data on the number of clients referred and enrolled in services
- Trainings on services provided by ASHLine-including bilingual telephonic counseling by a quit coach, nicotine replacement therapy, text messaging to support a client’s quit journey, and protocols used for special populations including Native American, Hispanic/Latino, African American, LBGTQ+ and individuals diagnosed with a behavioral health illness
- Specialized trainings for health care providers and health professionals, including: Tobacco and Native American Populations, Nicotine Dependence Treatment: Pharmacotherapy, and Quitting Tobacco-A 360 Approach to educate patients and families on multiple approaches to quitting, including quitting on your own, quit medication, the ASHLine and other cessation resources
- Online learning opportunities with Continuing Education Credits to educate health professionals on a variety of topics, including: Tobacco Use and Health Consequences, Electronic Cigarettes and their Impact on Public Health, and Tools to Support Clients to Reduce Nicotine Dependency
- Development of digital print-ready info-sheets for providers to educate patients on the health consequences of tobacco use and provide support to smokers thinking about quitting. All info-sheets are in English and Spanish and were written in plain language for low-literacy populations
- Delivery of customized trainings to meet the needs of private/public partners such as insurers and employers who contract with the ACTC for enhanced tobacco cessation services such as additional quit counseling and quit medication, in-depth monthly reports on cessation referral outcomes, and participation in employer health and wellness events