What is Menthol?
Menthol is a chemical compound naturally found in peppermint and other similar plants. Tobacco companies add menthol to make cigarettes seem less harsh and more appealing to new smokers and young people.1
Adults who smoke menthol cigarettes make more attempts to quit and have a harder time quitting.1
Menthol cigarettes are just as dangerous as any other type of cigarette.1
Smoking any kind of cigarette, including menthol cigarettes, is harmful and increases risk for serious illness and death.1
High Risk Groups
About 48% of Hispanic smokers use menthols.5
Adult smokers with mental health issues are more likely to smoke menthol cigarettes.1
LGBTQ+ smokers are more likely to smoke menthol cigarettes.1,4
More than half (54%) of 12 -17-year-old smokers use menthol cigarettes.4
Seven out of 10 African American smokers ages 12-17 years, use menthol cigarettes.4
Women who smoke are more likely to use menthol cigarettes than men who smoke.1
Success in Quitting Menthol!
Menthol smokers are able to quit with the help of a quit coach and use of over the counter nicotine replacement therapy like the patch, gum, and lozenge!
Text #NOMENTHOLSUNDAY! to 1-800-55-66-222 or call us at 1-800-55-66-222 to begin your quit journey!
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021, July 16). Menthol and Cigarettes. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved May 4, 2022, from https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/tobacco_industry/menthol-…
- Menthol: Facts, stats and regulations. Truth Initiative. (2022, April 22). Retrieved May 4, 2022, from https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/traditional-tobacco-prod…
- Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee. (2011, March 23). Menthol Cigarettes and Public Health: Review of the Scientific Evidence and Recommendations. Retrieved May 5, 2022, from https://wayback.archive-it.org/7993/20170405201731/https:/www.fda.gov/d…
- Villanti AC, Mowery PD, Delnevo CD, et al. Changes in the prevalence and correlates of menthol cigarette use in the USA, 2004–2014. Tobacco Control 2016;25:ii14-ii20.
- What is Menthol? American Lung Association. (2022, January 28). Retrieved May 4, 2022, from https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/smoking-facts/health-effects/what-is-…